Grow A Row builds on the age-old tradition of gardeners sharing their harvest with others. This program encourages gardeners to grow extra produce so that it can be shared with those in need. By participating in Grow A Row you will be providing fresh, local produce to the Dundas County Food Bank.
Whether your vegetable garden is large or small, you can add an additional row, bed or pot and plant something extra. Any extra fruit or vegetables can be earmarked for donation.
Encourage your family and friends to do the same. This is a wonderful project for everyone, from small children to seniors, from those who have a huge vegetable plot to balcony gardeners who can grow vegetables in pots.
HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE?
Call: 613-323-2983 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Pick up your introductory package with your seeds, lawn sign and program information from the Dundas County Food Bank during regular office hours:
Winchester – 487 May Street
Morrisburg – 28 Ottawa Street
Mondays 10 am to noon, Wednesdays 7 pm to 9pm, Thursdays 1 to 3 pm
Finch Food Cupboard – Chalmers United Church at Church St & Minto St
Thursdays from 1 pm to 3:30 pm
3. Plant your seeds, nurture your garden and spread the word by placing your Grow A Row lawn sign in a prominent location.
4. At harvest time, take the produce that you would like to donate to Dundas County Food Bank locations in Morrisburg and Winchester or the Finch Food Cupboard.
5. When you bring in your donation, don’t forget to let the volunteers at the food bank know that your produce is designated for the Grow A Row program so that it can be weighed and added to our total.
6. Pat yourself on the back for making a wonderful contribution to our community!
WHICH CROPS ARE BEST FOR DONATION?
Root vegetables are best … however, any produce that can be easily handled and stored, including broccoli, cabbage, carrots, peas, beans, tomatoes, radishes, parsnips, sweet peppers, summer squash (including zucchini), apples and pears are welcome.
Your donation, whether it’s a bag of tomatoes, a truckload of zucchini, a box of apples or something else that you’ve grown will be appreciated and put to good use. Simply remove any excess soil and bring it in.
All the produce you donate will be used right in your community.
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR GROW A ROW SPONSORS
Against the Grain Farms - 2147 Jennings Road Mountain, Ontario. K0E 1S0
Cotnam Ace Hardware - 18 Industrial Dr. Chesterville, Ontario. K0C 1H0
D&D’s Market - 19 Finch Main St, Finch, Ontario. K0C 1K0
The Grow A Row logo is reproduced here with permission of the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit. Further reproduction prohibited without permission. May 2016.